Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Feminism, Film, and Television

Feminism has not lost its presence within the media; in fact, there are many feminist elements that frequently show up in contemporary film and television. However, public perception has shifted drastically with the ascension of “Enlightened Sexism”, relegating modern day feminism as trivial and unnecessary. The pervasive reach of embedded feminism in the media has provided “fantasies of power” for women to internalize: the illusion that women’s rights have been secured and gender equality has been accomplished. Thus, these fantasies of power suggest women should channel their desires for power through sexual display, rampant consumerism, and the approval of men.

Susan Douglass examines these fantasies women are subjected to in thorough detail, discerning the subtle ways which the media targets, informs, and constructs societal notions of gender performance and identity. I found her analysis of many television shows and films in the 90s extremely insightful, and grew curious as to how big of an effect the women depicted in these shows had on the mentalities and attitudes of their respective female viewers. More specifically, I began to wonder if the fantasies of power embedded in film and television had any substantive effect on the female viewer’s mentality toward how she views herself and the feminine identity. I unfortunately never watched Legally Blonde, Miss Congeniality, or Clueless, but I do admit watching Xena Warrior Princess when I was young. However, I was not cognizant of the feminist elements that Xena came to present until after reading Douglass, which I can now only appreciate through hindsight. But I did not formulate beliefs on gender performance and feminine identity through my experiences watching Xena on television or other representations of women through the media.  Thus, I feel that claims that the representations of women in film and television discourage women from pursuing professional success because of the emotional shortcomings of fictional characters should be met with a grain of salt.  Although I can only speak from a male perspective, I can assure you that my personal conception of gender, masculinity, and identity did not derive from television or media, but through personal experiences.

1 comment:

  1. JP- I think that you make a really interesting point when you say that the feminist elements within TV shows, such as Xena, were hidden from view for you until Douglas pointed them out. I definitely agree with you, but I also think that these subtle cues have affected me without my knowing, and they have definitely acted as an influential factor for my own construction of gender. I also really liked your last comment on the fact that for you, personal experience overtakes the media when it comes to your thoughts on gender roles. Again, I agree with this, but I also think that some of these experiences could have been shaped by others' media-based conceptions of gender as well.

    ReplyDelete