Thursday, January 20, 2011

PC Police

      I can recall many times in the past where I’ve witnessed, overhead, or experienced stereotypical remarks or racist comments from my surroundings peers, classmates, or strangers. However, I cannot truthfully claim that I’ve responded to these comments in an appropriate manner that was conducive to effective communication and open dialogue. Nor can I claim that I’ve always spoken up when hearing friends making racist or sexist jokes. The reasons for this are varied. Sometimes I hear these remarks in passing and feel it is not my place to intervene; other times I feel that the remarks emerge from a humorous context and jovial manner from friends which doesn’t require “political correctness” policing. Often times, I’d find myself in a difficult situation deciding whether it is appropriate or worth the effort to respond to ignorant remarks, especially if it doesn’t personally affect me.  Jessica H. Greenstone effectively communicates this struggle in deciding when it is appropriate to speak up, “I have often found myself torn between wanting to be liked and knowing it was not worth compromising my beliefs.” I found this struggle something that many people can relate to and empathize with when issues of racism or sexism emerge in everyday conversation, especially when personal friendships and social dynamics can potentially be compromised. However, it is important to be able to distinguish the fine line between humorous and offensive, and acknowledge when that boundary is trespassed. When it is, it is imperative to speak up and defend one’s beliefs and identity, 


No comments:

Post a Comment